Sunday, April 10, 2011

Your Own History

Early Winter oil 18 x 36
Robert Genn has a recent post about getting rid of your old or inferior works.  His advice was to destroy the bad work instead of selling it at a discounted price. Good advice. However, I would add to this by saying give the pieces at least six months before you burn them.

I turn many of my boards over and paint on the other side, gessoing the first attempt (now on the back) out. I keep about 60-70% of what I paint. So while I largely agree with making a "burn pile", the post did make me squirm a little bit.

I ask my students to keep what they have made--even if they hate what they have done at the moment.  It shows progress which can be otherwise difficult to see--like how much your own child has grown. At the very least, photograph the piece and keep the photo in the recesses of your files. No one needs to look at it except for you. Remind yourself of how much you have grown. If you must burn it or paint over it at this point, do.

Many of my better paintings started out in the burn pile.  Something in them made me come back and rework what I didn't like.  If I had destroyed them immediately, they wouldn't have made it on the wall. Furthermore, the more distance I gave them--some sat for six months, the more potential I saw in them.  The time lapse let me separate myself from the initial frustration. The painting posted here was saved from just that fate.

So, save your work for awhile before you destroy it. It shows your own history, your growth, and can end in some pretty good work.

4 comments:

  1. Kate, I love this Early Winter painting. Very beautiful and such a feeling of peace and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carol! It certainly started out as a tough one, but somehow resolved itself in the end...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful painting, I agree with Carol very peaceful feeling. Sometimes the paintings that went to the burn pile and back are the most gratifying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kathryn! They are either the most gratifying or the most frustrating! I definitely learn the most from them even if they don't make it back from the burn pile.

    ReplyDelete