Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Risk


Slivers of Light oil 12 x 12
Risk is an inherent part of the creative life.  The decision to make one's paintings available to the public is one that invites judgement and criticism. Opinions are offered, good or bad.

Every time I make a painting, I am exposing a part of myself that is deeply personal even if I am "just making landscapes".  They are a part of me. They reflect how I see the world. They show my struggle, my questions and observations about my surroundings, and they occasionally show my triumphs too. I try to keep that in mind when looking at other people's art.  What were they risking? 

A painting without risk is lifeless, made for viewers who expect something pretty. Try starting a painting that scares you, whether it be a new subject or a never-tried color or technique. It takes courage to venture into the unfamiliar and to invite failure or criticism. The risk is always worth it.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."-T.S. Eliot

3 comments:

  1. Nice post. It was Matisse who said - "It is better they tell me what they think, than say nothing and I never know about it." I believe that whether good or bad, criticism helps someone; either the person it is aimed at to give pleasure if good criticism, or spur them on to greatness if negative, as well as the person giving the criticism by them expressing their true feelings so we know that person better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, I like what you have to say about knowing the critic better--it takes courage to speak the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is one of my favorite paintings of yours Kate...I love it!

    ReplyDelete