Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Intention and The Art of Flexibility


Pond Lyric oil 11 x 14
In painting you never do what you set out to do.  Something else happens.  If it always turns out right you are probably doing something wrong.--Ken Kewley
It is very rare that a painting turns out exactly as I had intended or envisioned from the start.  Elements of painting have a life of their own and what I had pictured putting down somehow turns into something else. Hopefully, with a bit of luck and skill, what does end up on the page is worthy of a frame or teaches me something that I can control better in my next attempt.

 Yesterday I made a painting that, with some distance, has a rather bothersome circular pattern that overtakes the subject. I didn't see it at first and I will have to fix it--not what I had envisioned, but hopefully something that can be resolved and maybe enhanced or even made into the main idea of the painting.

I think the intuitive part of painting allows for more flexibility and less attachment to results.  If a shape doesn't turn out just as I had imagined, I try to let it lead me.  Sometimes it can be exciting and sometimes disastrous or disappointing. (There is always that burn pile)!!!  I find that I need the same flexibility in my teaching.  Class planning can be restrictive when a group exceeds your expectations or when they need more work with a certain topic.

 So as much as I try to produce a painting that comes close to my original vision,  I try to stay open to changes that might come up along the way. There. A lesson in bending.

3 comments:

  1. I love it the way it is! Unexpected and a nice change from aspen trunks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had seen your web site, but not your blog till my friend and painting buddy Kathryn Grider sent me an email with this link. I love the open honest way you put your thoughts into words. I find many of your posts are echos of my own thoughts...maybe artists share more than just the need to create. I started at your first post this morning and have read every one of them. Your work is beautiful and an inspiration to me, although I fail to see why you consider yourself an emerging artist. I would be thrilled to have as many accomplishments and as much recognition as you have attained. Maybe one day I will get there. My sis lives near Denver so I have the hope that I will see your work in person at some time. As for this painting I agree with Joanne. It is a lovely painting as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yvonne, Thank you for reading my blog (in its entirety!) and for taking the time to write. It means a lot to me that what I have to say resonates with other artists and it motivates me to continue writing.

    I think I consider myself an emerging artist because I have yet to fully develop my style and technique. I'll keep practicing and I hope you keep up with the painting too! Painting buddies are the best!

    ReplyDelete