Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Handwriting

Late Day Glow 20 x 30
I've been working on the way I apply my paint lately.  My paintings tend to be hard-edged and I would like to have more variety in my brushwork and edges.  As I have been toiling away at it, trying different surfaces and paint applications, I have come to realize that my brushstrokes are bound to have a certain feel to them.  My hand innately moves a certain way. It is like handwriting--unique and individual, and something that is very hard to change. At the same time, it identifies the maker whether it is as a signature or a brushstroke.  So I am trying to bend to the inevitable--my brushwork is uniquely mine.  I am trying embrace the look of my paintings instead of fighting them.  Though wouldn't it be nice to handle paint like Sargent, or Schmidt, or Blumenschein?

No comments:

Post a Comment