Sunday, February 13, 2011

Caught in the Middle



Reflection-Windsong 36 x 36

 I find that my work falls somewhere in the middle of the contemporary or abstract and a more traditional approach.  I think the paintings that I enjoy creating the most look at the world in terms of shape and color and can present a structure that is based on reality, but stray a bit from what is "real" as well. There are times I feel pressure to create more traditional work that appeals to a broader audience.  I suppose it is a remnant of wanting to fit in. There are a lot of artists out there who have perfected the traditions of landscape or still life or portraiture. They draw from the conventional and give it their own twist. Should I pursue the same?  There are also artists who walk the line between the conventional and the abstract.  I think T. Allen Lawson does it well.  Len Chmiel also comes to mind. At the moment, I continue to dabble a bit in both worlds--I have a long way to go and it is the journey after all. I'm confident that one way or another a method that is completely mine will surface.  I just need to put in the hours.

 

Alpine Sunrise 12 x 9


No comments:

Post a Comment