Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Favorites


December Calligraphy Oil 9 x 12
It is interesting to me that very often the paintings I consider my favorites do not sell as fast as some of my other paintings.  Many times, I like a painting because somehow I pushed myself in making it and had a breakthrough--something that is hard to explain to a patron, unless you have the opportunity to stand beside it and express your technical ideas.  Most collectors buy a painting because something in it speaks to them.  They don't buy it because while you were making it you had an aha moment.  

I attended the traveling Blumenshein exhibit a few years ago at the Denver Art Museum.  One of the stand out pieces was the painting they choose for the cover of their catalog--a beautiful painting of two Indian men.  I read more about it later and Blumenshein himself felt the painting was an important one for him.  It toured the country with a high price tag and never sold.  He eventually let go for what he paid for the materials to the Albuquerque High School.  Was it ahead of its time?  Was he too attached to it?

No comments:

Post a Comment