Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Pond

Reflection-Finale oil 20 x 30
Reflection-Mirrored Willows oil 12 x 12


Reflection-On the Fringe oil 30 x 24
There is a pond about a block from where I live.  I walk around it with my dog almost everyday.  Over the years, it has become a common place to find me painting and many of my works are about this one place.  Cezanne explored Mount St. Victoire in his backyard in much the same way.  Monet painted in series often throughout his life as well.

The pond is in constant flux, reflecting the seasons and the direction and position of the sun. I know the pond better than many other places I paint because I have painted it again and again.  There is a certain intimacy to those pieces (for me anyway).  Most of my works that come from this place have the word Reflection in their title.  I like the word because it connotes more than just a physical reflection.  It also connotes a sense of thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment