Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Emerging

                                      


                                      
                                  
I've been thinking about the word "emerging" lately.  The dictionary defines it as "1. to rise up or come forth into view; 2. to come into existence; 3. to become known or evident."  Ironically, the entry is right below a picture of  a cow embryo illustrating another entry all together, but rather relevant as well! To me, the word conjures something that is fragile, but also has strength.

I am an emerging artist. In fact, I have been emerging for quite some time now.  I began my art career in the children's book business and through the hand of fate, am now quite happily making paintings for galleries. I have been painting (or illustrating in oils) for over 20 years.  Making my living as a fine artist was an abrupt U-turn and I had to start my learning process all over again. I did it most of it by the seat of my pants (there were times where it definitely showed).  I am just now beginning to understand the process of painting better, but I still have a long, long way to go. An art career is definitely something that is earned. Perhaps I will always be emerging.

I made the images above in an artist's journaling class a few years ago.  My theme for the journal was emerging....

No comments:

Post a Comment