Saturday, May 14, 2011

Heroes

Aldro Hibbard Winter Stream
Every artist has a few heroes that have come before them.  Painters that they look to for inspiration or information.  Heroes should motivate you to paint better. The list may grow as the artist grows and in writing this, I notice a few on my list that were influencial at first, but I no longer look to them as much. I still love their work, but I find it is important to continually study work that speaks to you in new ways.

I have a few to share today.  The list is longer than this, but best shared in small amounts.

The only living artist on my list was one of my first influences, Russell Chatham.  His work has an abstract quality to it that I love. I bought his One Hundred Paintings book right out of college.
  • Aldro Hibbard.  A New England painter who structures his brushstrokes in a way that I find intriging.
  • Emile Gruppe.  A contemporary of Hibbard.  You can see their work together in a wonderful small gallery in Jeffersonville, Vermont. They painted in the area.
  • John Carlson for his beautiful ability with trees and light.
  • William Wendt. A California Impressionist who again uses brushwork and color to structure his paintings.
  • Ernest Blumenshein.  A Taos painter.  The abstract qualities and design elements in his paintings are interesting to me.
  • Last but not least, John Singer Sargent.  I think he shows up on every painter's list of heroes.



John Singer Sargent Home Fields
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the links Kate! Of course, I know Sargent and he is one of my favorites too, but other than William Wendt, I hadn't seen much of the other work. I do like Aldro Hibbard especially....I will have to do some googling tonight and get some art history education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that the post spurred an art history lesson!

    ReplyDelete